My view:

Shipping the TLSv1.3 support has risks, but we also need to
enable people to have the latest in transport security.

We paid attention to keeping the behaviour with older versions
of openssl unchanged and our test cases confirm that this is the
case - as far or short as they go.

People linking their server (or shipping a distro) with openssl 1.1.1
or the relevant libressl version for TLSv1.3 opt in to share that
risk, consciously.

We can mitigate the risk of such changes with
a) better test suites
b) a broader test community

While no one is prevented from voting on a release candidate, the time
window is too short for some people, I believe.

My experience with making mod_http2 and mod_md available standalone
on github is:
- it's a platform for people who make "bleeding-edge" packages available
  to a range of people who like to run on the latest and greatest.
- it broadens the test base considerably
- it simplifies testing of fixes
- it simplifies analysis of bug reports against our 2.4.x releases as
  issues are often reported more than once and I can point people to
  the github release for checking their bug against fixes already made.

The httpd project is, right now, not offering this. People can check out
2.4.x, sure, but fixes often trickle only in just before a release. Also,
the 2.4.x branch is not intended for testing a "hopeful" fix. And testing
the dev branch is not the same either.

So, it seems to me, as we are missing a 2.4.x-candy branch that is CTR
and where from RTC merges  with votes are done to 2.4.x. From 2.4.x-candy
we could tag "release-candidates" and provide our usual tar balls in
a pretty automated way. They'd have not CVE relevant changes and need no
big announcements. I imagine Daniels scripts can make them easily.

For 2.4.36 it would have meant that we'd had people testing TLSv1.3 for
weeks now, in much broader settings. And it would not have cost us much.

Cheers,

Stefan