On 10.04.2019 12:49, Yann Ylavic wrote:
On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 12:10 PM Stefan Eissing
<stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de> wrote:

Am 09.04.2019 um 18:48 schrieb Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>:

2. Validation responses lose the "Vary" header from the unconditional response.
This happens on resources where mod_deflate is active.
  The 200 response without any "if-modified-since" etc. carries "Vary:
Accept-Encoding" as it should.
  The 304 response with "if-modified-since" has no "Vary" header.
  The code in mod_deflate looks as if it tries to add it in any case, where is
it lost?

That's one of many bugs related to design problems with mod_deflate.  Basically,
it chooses to insert itself into the response handling after the other checks
are done,
which means a 304 doesn't even know yet whether the response would use gzip.
The solution (which I never found time to implement) is to replace dynamic gzip
with
a transfer encoding generator,

Do user-agents support "Transfer-Encoding: gzip, chunked" currently?
That'd be the best/easier solution I think.

AFAIR, the only transfer encoding supported by common UAs is "chunked".

Best regards, Julian