On 05/10/2019 19.30, Nick Kew wrote:

On 5 Oct 2019, at 21:09, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

Various PMCs have made their default/de-facto SCM git and have seen an increase
in contributions and contributors...

Is this something the httpd project should consider? Especially w/ the
foundation officially supporting Github, it seems like time to have a
discussion about it, especially as we start thinking about the next 25 years of
this project :)

Cheers!

[apologies if this appears twice.  Just sent with wrong from: address so I
expect
apache to bounce it.  I'm still on limited 'net connectivity since my house
move -
ISP due on Oct 14th to install proper connection].

If it moves to github, how and at what level is history preserved? Github can do
alarming things with history even for a project that's always been there!

We would have the exact same level of history as before (one might even say we'll get more history, as you can specify committer and author separately in git). If you look at https://github.com/apache/httpd which is our current git mirror, it should have the exact same commits going back to 1996 as the subversion repository. There is a bit of a lag on the mirror right now, but that is a separate issue that will be fixed on October 12th.

There is also, as you mention, the risk of force-pushing to rewrite history, but as I understand it, we can disable this by requiring PRs for each change to the canonical branch(es).

The old subversion history would also be retained on the svn master.

Don't we have an svn-git gateway?  If that's not best-of-both-worlds, why not?