On Mon, Jan 24, 2022 at 3:49 PM Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2022, at 15:52, Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> SUSPENDED already has the opposite meaning, in that a suspended connection
> >> will be excluded from run_process_connection() until such time as some
> >> other event has occurred (response on DNS, a proxy connection received
> >> something, etc) and the connection resumed.
> >
> > Hm, where is that? (All the uses of SUSPENDED I see in httpd seem to
> > be "defer to the MPM".)
>
> It does defer to the MPM, which then makes sure that connection stays out of
> the queues until some other out-of-band process is triggered for the
> connection to put back in the queue using ap_mpm_resume_suspended(). In other
> words “don’t call me ever, even if data is available, as I’m waiting for
> something else to happen, like say the result of a DNS lookup or a response
> from a backend connection”.
>
> In the case of AGAIN, it means “call me again when you have more data, serve
> other connections while we wait”.

Maybe the resume_suspended hook is a misnomer? We also have the
suspend_connection and resume_connection hooks which mean the opposite
(called when added to and removed from the queues respectively).

It sounds more natural to me to think that the connection (processing)
is suspended when it's in the MPM, than suspended from any MPM action
when it's outside the MPM (all the connections being processed outside
the MPM are not in any MPM queue anyway), but YMMV ;)

Regards;
Yann.