> Am 26.01.2022 um 17:06 schrieb Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>:
>
> On 26 Jan 2022, at 13:49, Stefan Eissing <ste...@eissing.org> wrote:
>
>> Guys, we have changes in a central part of the server and our CI fails.=20=
>>
>> It is not good enough to give other people unspecific homework to fix =
>> it.=20
>>
>> Analyze what you broke and if we can help, we'll happily do that. But
>> you need to give some more details here.
>
> We need to clarify expectations at this point.
>
> The trunk of httpd has a policy called “commit then review” (CTR), meaning
> that changes are applied first, and then review is done to see what the
> ramifications of those changes are. Some changes are at a high level and very
> well contained, some changes such as this one are at a very low level and
> affect the whole server. Obviously there is an expectation that one must
> think it works before committing, but none of our contributors have access to
> even a fraction of the number of platforms that httpd runs on, and so we must
> rely on both our CI and the review of others (thus the “then review”) to show
> us where things have gone wrong. Our CI is a tool to tell us what potentially
> has gone wrong across a wide set of scenarios, far beyond the capability of
> what a single person has access to.
>
> The next issue is “Analyze what you broke”.
>
> I have been working on this code morning, day and night for many days now. A
> lot of time was spent chasing what I thought was an infinite loop complaining
> about EOF, but actually was a harmless error that should have been a debug
> triggered every time the client disconnected. Then more time was spent trying
> to get to the bottom of why the timeouts weren’t working, only to discover
> that the timeouts weren’t implemented. The accusation that I have been
> careless is highly offensive.
>
> In open source we don’t bark accusations at each other, particularly when
> noone has seen just how much time and effort has gone into this. I have been
> working on this code for 25 years and am not afraid to call this out, but new
> people to open source or new to this project are going to be intimidated and
> leave. This must not happen.
>
> Please be mindful of others working on this project, and be helpful where
> possible.

I did not intend to "bark" at you and am sorry if my reply came across like
that.

As you explained, this change has been very taxing and a struggle. We did not
see that. What we experience are changes that prevent us from working in trunk.
If you, at that point in time, are unable to help because workload/energy/or
any other issues that is understood. This is a volunteer project. But
understand that others are in the same situation as you and experience the
changes as a showstopper.

As Yann pointed out much more constructively than myself, isolating such a
change in a PR where the team can review, discuss and enhance it together seems
the best approach. This does not mean every commit needs to be a PR. It can be
done retroactively by reverting breaking changes and place them in a PR to work
together to make it good.

Let's do this and see how it works.

Kind Regards,
Stefan