On Sun, Mar 06, 2022 at 05:56:36PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
> I am however strongly opposed for Github to be our only promotion process.
>
> CI is great right until the point you get your first unrelated test failure,
> then it is a nightmare. The collectd project was completely stuck unable to
> merge a single PR for months and months because their CI broke and nobody had
> access to fix it. Github presented a “computer says no” button and the
> project ground to a complete halt. The project is now so backlogged that the
> chances of getting anything reviewed are slim.
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=colle...@verplant.org&q=subject:%22Re%5C%3A+%5C%5Bcollectd%5C%5D+SNMPv3%5C%2BDTLS+support+for+collectd%5C-snmp%22&o=newest&f=1
>
> It is inevitable that at some point the generosity of the people
> supplying the CI will run out, and CI will stop working. We cannot
> allow ourselves to be jammed up because of this.

I assume the ASF infra budget is still paying for Travis capacity since
there is no free service there any more (beyond an initial N thousand
hours per account), and they were in the past:

https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/apache_gains_additional_travis_ci

AIUI you can configure github to allow merges even if tests fail, though
I'm not familiar with that, has anybody played with the settings there?

Regards, Joe