Eric,

On 5/18/22 08:31, Eric Covener wrote:
Given the above, I believe the interpretation of X-F5-Auth-Token should
be that it is an end-to-end header, and should therefore NOT be removed
from the proxied request.

The text does say "All other headers *defined by HTTP/1.1* are
end-to-end headers" (emphasis mine, of course), and the X-F5-Auth-Token
header isn't defined by HTTP/1.1 (it's a custom one), but I think the
definition of specific hop-by-hop headers implies that *all* other
headers should be considered end-to-end.

I don't think that interpretation can be squared with e.g.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7230#section-3.2.1
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7230#section-6.1

Thanks for those references. So the client /is/ expected to be able to tell the proxy that certain headers are hop-by-hop by specifying them in the Connection header.

It appears that Big-IP wasn't aware of this and wasn't ensuring that headers associated with authentication should always be proxied (perhaps by copying inbound header -> outbound header) by overriding httpd's spec-compliant default behavior.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

(I was previously unaware of this nuance of the Connection header. It's a pretty important nuance :)

Thanks,
-chris