+1

I'm assuming that most people who need the DAO framework have discovered the
multitude of IoC containers out there.

----- Original Message ----

From: Clinton Begin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org; dev@ibatis.apache.org

Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 2:28:16 AM

Subject: Deprecating the DAO framework?

Hi all,

I think we should deprecate the iBATIS DAO framework for these reasons:

In my opinion, the iBATIS Mapper does a fantastic job of isolating the
persistence layer as is.

I've personally started to shy away from data access layers.

For most applications, there's no big deal in having a dependency on
SqlMapClient.If you do use a DAO layer, I suggest Spring DAOIf you can't use
Spring DAO, I suggest writing your own DAO layer that is as simple as possible
and tuned for your environment. I don't believe very many people use the DAO
framework, for those that do, you can safely continue to do so.  It hasn't
changed in years, and so it likely won't.

Deprecation would basically mean we take it off the website as a downloadable
component and remove the doc links etc.  Of course we'd still answer the odd
question on the mailing list, but we'd likely not adopt any changes and
possibly not even fix any bugs (but you're welcome to take the source and use
it under the Apache License).

What do you think?  Thoughts?

Cheers,

Clinton