I currently hate Maven with a grand passion.  But, I'm open minded and am
willing to be educated as to why people like it.  I will make the same offer
I made before:

Three requirements:

#1 Create a maven build system for iBATIS that achieves the exact same
output, which includes:
    - one "click" build -- I'm not exaggerating here, SVN checkout, run ant
or script...done.  NOTHING else.. no config files, no nothing.
    - offline build -- no network connection required (perhaps after one
build if it needs to grab dependencies initially)
    - echo arbitrary information to the command line, such as classpath in
use and current version being built
    - all dependencies must be versioned and organized into developer
dependencies (/devlib) and runtime/deploy dependencies (/lib)
    - HTML test reports
    - HTML coverage reports
    - exploded distribution
    - zipped distr
    - version number stamped on ibatis JAR file(s) as well as the zip distro
    - all achieved by Ant today.

#2 Show that it's simpler than Ant in at least one way.  For example:
    - less XML configuration
    - fewer requirements
    - smaller overall source base size
    - more/better compatibility with tools/frameworks/IDEs
    - the current Ant build is 258 lines and integrates and runs from any
IDE

#3 Show that it does something Ant doesn't.  For example:
    - Signs, MD5, and Uploads to Apache dist (with no additional
dependencies or configuration)
    - ....

I don't think these are unreasonable requirements.  In fact if even one is
missed, it would make me wonder why the hell we'd even bother.

I'm for simplicity over all else.  No Ant isn't the best example of a build
tool in history.  But it's simple and it works.

Clinton