As Denis said, there is no need to download the entire Ignite repo to
install the client. Once published the client is going to be installed by
users with a command:

npm install -g apache-ignite-client

The sources are going to be distributed as a part of the ignite repository,
yes. But in general, release and installation process for the client and
the Ignite technically are completely independent.

And moreover: if there is a bug, especially critical, found in the client
we shouldn't wait for the next Ignite to be released to get it fixed. We
should be flexible enough to push the fixes and release the clients'
updates independently at any point in time.

Having an independent release/versioning scheme would allow the clients to
get bug-fixes (minor version update) or nonbreaking feature-adds or
improvements (medium version update) between major Ignite releases
(potentially breaking changes and thus - the major version update). But the
client and the Ignite versions mapping might be tricky and should be
clearly documented.

So there are pros and cons.

But I believe the release policy should be consistent across all the Thin
clients (I'm not talking about the "native" or Thick ones, which heavily
depend on the Ignite internals and are a different story).

p.