In this case I would not advise to measure how long does it take to get the
first byte. We may set page size to 1 and get that byte very quickly, but
it doesn't help you to iterate over all results quickly. Correct
measurement here would be to calculate total iteration time. Provided that
object size is pretty big, I think optimal page size might be pretty small.

At this moment thin client SCAN implementation is really straightforward -
just request-response for every page. To get peak throughput it is better
to rewrite it to streaming approach, when server constantly pushes data to
the client. Also compression may help in your case (trade CPU to network).
But this is only ideas which are yet to be implemented in the product.

Also you may want to look at "partition" and "filter" parameters of
ScanQuery. With partition it is possible to start scanning in several
threads. With filter it is possible to pass less data over wire.

Vladimir.