Roman,

We have a ticket to improve repeatable_read mode [1] via caching entries
locally.
This should make mvcc transaction repeatable_read semantic similar to
non-mvcc Txs
and allow us to implement eviction in correct way.

Another way is to introduce mvcc shared (read) entry locks and evict only
entries if no one hold any lock on it,
but this looks tricky and error prone as your first one as it may lead to
eviction policy unexpected behavior,
e.g some versions can be visible while others - no (evicted).

--
Best regards,
Andrey V. Mashenkov