Pavel,

I don't think so: we can't add snippets pointing to new APIs from a separate repo,
Snippets are kept together with the docs, they /don't need/ to be stored in the main repo, although they can. They are compilable and up to date. I update the docs and API samples for features that hasn't been released in the GridGain docs and never thought it was a problem. I understand that you don't want to do extra work when adding code samples, but it looks like just an inconvenience. Let me suggest this: Let's think about a solution that will be comfortable for you, I'm pretty sure this inconvenience can be solved technically. But I need time to think it through.

we can't see the docs when doing global search (and/or replace) from the IDE.
I think you can add the docs repo to your IDE as a project. I used to do it in the beginning but then switched to Sublime Text, because it's more convenient to me. We are looking at it from different perspectives. I'm trying to create a process that is comfortable for tech writers rather than developers. And everybody has to accept some kind of a compromise:)

Well, no one is able to "freely" commit code to Apache master, there is a process to follow - CI, reviews, etc.
Same should happen for the docs, separate repo or not.
But a separate repo will require separate ownership/management (probably?),
but we already have everything in the main repo, why introduce overhead?
Just think about it from my perspective. That creates a HUUUGE overhead for technical writers who work on the docs, and they are the ones who provide 90% of updates. I agree about the review process, and I'm going to think it over. But now it seems that we don't have to impose any strict process that impedes preparation of the docs.

-Artem

On 23.06.2020 15:35, Pavel Tupitsyn wrote:
> all your pros points work just as well for a separate repository
I don't think so: we can't add snippets pointing to new APIs from a separate repo, we can't see the docs when doing global search (and/or replace) from the IDE.

> I am able to freely commit to master
Well, no one is able to "freely" commit code to Apache master, there is a process to follow - CI, reviews, etc.
Same should happen for the docs, separate repo or not.
But a separate repo will require separate ownership/management (probably?),
but we already have everything in the main repo, why introduce overhead?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 2:59 PM Artem Budnikov <a.budnikov.ign...@gmail.com <mailto:a.budnikov.ign...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Pavel,

    As far as I can see, all your pros points work just as well for a
    separate repository (except for "everybody knows about it"). I don't
    mind keeping the docs in Ignite repo as long as I am able to freely
    commit to master. Will I be able to do that?

    -Artem