Alexey,

ср, 14 апр. 2021 г. в 01:52, Alexey Kukushkin <kukushkinale...@gmail.com>:

> Just some points looking questionable to me, although I realize the error
> handling style may be very opinionated:
>
>    - Would it make sense splitting the proposed composite error code
>    (TBL-0001) into separate numeric code (0001) and scope/category ("TBL")
>    avoid parsing the code when an error handler needs to analyze only the
>    category or the code?

  TBL-0001 is a *string representation* of the error. It is built from 2
byte scope id (mapped to name TBL) and 2 byte number (0001). Both
internally packed in int. No any kind of parsing will be necessary to read
scope/category.

>    - "*The cause - short string description of an issue, readable by
> user.*".
>    This terminology sounds confusing to me since that "cause" sounds like
> Java
>    Throwable's Message to me and the "Cause" is a lower level exception.

The string describes the cause of error, so the name. I'm ok to rename it
to a message. It will be stored in IgniteException.message field anyway.

>    - "*The action - steps for a user to resolve error...*". The action is
>    very important but do we want to make it part of the IgniteException? I
> do
>    not think the recovery action text should be part of the exception.
>    IgniteException may include a URL pointing to the corresponding
>    documentation - this is discussable.

This will not be the part of the exception. A user should visit the
documentation page and read the action section by corresponding error code.

>    - "*All public methods throw only unchecked IgniteException*" - I assume
>    we still respect JCache specification and prefer using standard Java
>    exception to signal about invalid parameters.

Using standard java exceptions whenever possible makes sense.

>    - Why we do not follow the "classic" structured exception handling
>    practices in Ignite:

Ignite 3 will be multi language, and other languages use other error
processing models. SQL for example uses error codes.
The single exception approach simplifies and unifies error handling across
platforms for me.

>       - Why do we not allow using checked exceptions? It seems to me
>       sometimes forcing the user to handle an error serves as a hint and
> thus
>       improves usability. For example, handling an optimistic/pessimistic
>       transaction conflict/deadlock. Or handling a timeout for operations
> with
>       timeouts.

A valid point. Checked exceptions must be used for whose methods, where
error handling is enforced, for example tx optimistic failure.
Such errors will also have corresponding error codes.

>       - Why single public IgniteException and no exception hierarchy? Java
>       is optimized for structured exception handling instead of using
> IF-ELSE to
>       analyze the codes.

Exception hierarchy is not required when using error codes and applicable
only to java API, so I would avoid spending efforts on it.

>       - Why no nested exceptions? Sometimes an error handler is interested
>       only in high level exceptions (like Invalid Configuration) and
> sometimes
>       details are needed (like specific configuration parser exceptions).

Nested exceptions are not forbidden to use. They can provide additional
details on the error for debug purposes, but not strictly required, because
error code + message should provide enough information to the user.

>    - For async methods returning a Future we may have a universal rule on
>    how to handle exceptions. For example, we may specify that any async
> method
>    can throw only invalid argument exceptions. All other errors are
> reported
>    via the exceptionally(IgniteException -> {}) callback even if the async
>    method was executed synchronously.

This is ok to me.

--

Best regards,