Hi Ivan,

Thanks for chiming in. My comments are below.

-Val

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 12:20 AM Ivan Daschinsky <ivanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> First of all, when array is serialized, marshaller actually DO
> PRESERVE type of element (seel
> org.apache.ignite.internal.binary.BinaryUtils#doReadObjectArray and
> org.apache.ignite.internal.binary.BinaryWriterExImpl#doWriteObjectArray).
> AFAIK, the motivation of Nickolay proposal, is the fact, that during
> call of PlatformService we do additional marshal/unmarshall step and
> during this step we loose array type info
> See org.apache.ignite.internal.binary.BinaryReaderExImpl#readObjectDetached
> and org.apache.ignite.internal.binary.BinaryUtils#doReadObjectArray)
>
> In order to handle this problem, we can just add some wrapper that
> contains element type info and use it in our INTERNAL API.
> I just don't understand why we should change IgniteBinary API.

Makes sense to me. I would also avoid changing the public API.

> >>  It was designed as a data storage format, and the fact
> that Ignite uses it elsewhere is a fundamental design flaw. BTW, this is
> something we're trying to fix in 3.0.
>
> Please, do not. There are many cases when this can really improve
> performance. Reflection is always slower than low level api and many
> users are happy with low level API.

Low-level APIs are not being removed. If anything, they are likely to
become more low-level :) Either way, that's off-topic. I would recommend
reviewing the related IEPs and starting a separate discussion if you have
any questions or concerns.