The patch for this is finally out: https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/11363/

I put some work into trying to make sure this will be as seamless as
possible for everyone.
- For people on Ubuntu 16 or the other CDH supported distros, you'll
automatically start using the CDH Kudu.
- For people on Ubuntu 14, Impala will automatically set USE_CDH_KUDU=false
and fall back to the toolchain Kudu. You should see no change.
- For people who want to develop on other OSes, KUDU_IS_SUPPORTED will get
set to false, we will build a stub Kudu client, and you should be able to
build and run as normal, except that Kudu related operations will fail. Or
you can build Kudu locally and link Impala against it using the
KUDU_CLIENT_DIR/KUDU_BUILD_DIR variables

I also filed IMPALA-7515 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMPALA-7515>
to track the eventual removal of toolchain Kudu support