I thought subsequent drafts were only visible to reviewers (in general
drafts are visible to any reviewers you add to the patch). At least on
older versions of gerrit if you pushed out a draft to a published patchset,
a notification email was sent out but the updated patchset was invisible to
non-reviewers.

Another feature I find useful for organising related patches is the
"topic". If you push to refs/for/master%topic=buffer-pool then the patch is
associated with a topic.