Hi

Recently, I find that some users create timeseries do not following the real
world semantic of device

E.g., a device has a sensor that collects some data in array format (int[3])
and some in long type.

Many users will create timeseries like this:

root.sg.device1.measurement1.int0
root.sg.device1.measurement1.int1
root.sg.device1.measurement1.int2
root.sg.device1.measurement2.long

As a consequence, there will be two devices instead of one device. This will
cause the real number of devices is much bigger than the real devices they
thought. The drawback is: more devices leads to more memory consumption.

A more efficient way is

root.sg.device1.measurement1_int0
root.sg.device1.measurement1_int1
root.sg.device1.measurement1_int2
root.sg.device1.measurement2_long

In this schema, there will be only one device and 4 measurements.

The problem is we extract the device id automatically. Users usually do not
have a clear concept about "device". Should we emphasize the concept of device
by letting users create device manually?

What do you think?

Thanks,
--
Jialin Qiao