-1 for having the security-manager optional.

If it is not optional, we are obviously not backward compatible.

someone having an 1.4 configuration with a custom
access manager would be forced to change it anyway.

I believe most users use the default settings.

so, the question is whether we want to stress out the
changes made to code base and have users being aware
of that or if want to focus on backwards compatibility
taking the risk that people don't change their config
and can't start the repository afterwards.

to me the first variant looks better.
but i can live with both...

angela