+1 I think moving to Git would eventually simplify a few things.
Especially ramping up new committers and sporadic contributors will
likely find it easier through Git.
Robert already brought up some issues we need keep in mind when
migrating and I'm sure there are more. Let's see whether we can get a
rough consensus first on whether we want to move in the next couple of
months before delving too deep into technical issues.

Michael