I remember having tried to modify Jackrabbit core to update Lucene version.
I eventually gave up due to complexity of the work.
Jackrabbit's SearchIndex class is *very* imbricated with Lucene 3.6 code

As a workaround, I shadowed the Lucene's 3.6 lib by changing its package name, so that it may get along with a more recent version. And then after a while, I moved toward a Solr server, and then had not the need of shadowing anymore, so I put back the original 3.6 lib.

My 2 cents,
Cédric