The key appears to have been related to the StoryReporter.

public Configuration getConfiguration()
  {
    return new MostUsefulConfiguration()
        .useStoryParser(new GherkinStoryParser())
        .useStoryControls(
            new StoryControls()
              .doDryRun(TestConfiguration.getInstance().doDryRun())
              .doSkipScenariosAfterFailure(false))
        .useStepPatternParser(new RegexPrefixCapturingPatternParser())
        .useStoryLoader(new
LoadFromClasspath(this.getClass().getClassLoader()))
        .useStoryReporterBuilder(
            new StoryReporterBuilder()
                .withFormats(Format.CONSOLE, Format.TXT, Format.STATS)
                .withFailureTrace(true)
                .withReporters(new LogginStoryReporter(LOG)));
  }

class LogginStoryReporter
    extends NullStoryReporter
  {
    private final Logger logger;

    public LogginStoryReporter(Logger logger) {
      this.logger = logger;
    }

    @Override
    public void failed(String step, Throwable cause) {
      logger.error("{} (FAILED)", step, cause);
    }

    @Override
    public void failedOutcomes(String step, OutcomesTable table) {
      failed(step, table.failureCause());

      StringBuilder message = new StringBuilder();

      message.append("(Failed Outcomes) ").append(step);
      for (Outcome<?> out : table.getFailedOutcomes()) {
        message.append(out.getDescription());
      }
      logger.error(message.toString());
    }