Hello,
When a free OSS library is publicly in EOL since many years, and you don’t
pay extended support to anybody, you know the risks you’re taking.

As a software developer I am very frequently frustrated by people refusing
the upgrade of libraries because it costs money and « doesn’t bring
anything », so I will not contrubute to giving arguments to this policy.
Fixing EOL library is just that IMO.

If you want a fix, then you can pay for a project member or consultant to
implement the fix and share it if you want with community on github without
involving us, ASF allows that AFAIU.

But you should not expect contributors of OSS project to do it on their
free time , EOL has a meaning.

Saying that, I wonder if we are explicit enough about EOL in JMeter.

Regarding your comparison with Cobol is not free, and I am sure users pay
lot of money for its « extended or not support », so it does not compare to
log4j in any way.

Now regarding a fix to jmeter 1 or 2, well it’s your opinion as of now, I
am happy you’re contributing a lot these days, but things change as long as
people.

As of me, I would responsibly advise users to forget about Jmeter 1, 2, 3
not only for CVE but for all other bugs that have been fixed and all
features in more up to date versions.
We take time in our development to explicitly document deprecated features,
 changes… That helps upgrading.

Regards
Philippe