Hi Bruno,

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 1:51 AM Bruno Cadonna <br...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Hi Guozhang,
>
> I left my comments inline.
>
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 8:28 PM Guozhang Wang <wangg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Bruno,
> >
> > Thanks for the feedbacks, replied inline.
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 7:08 AM Bruno Cadonna <br...@confluent.io> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guozhang,
> > >
> > > Thank you for the KIP.
> > >
> > > 1) As far as I understand, the StreamsMetrics interface is there for
> > > user-defined processors. Would it make sense to also add a method to
> > > the interface to specify a sensor that records skipped records?
> > >
> > > Not sure I follow.. if users want to add a specific skipped records
> > sensor, she can still do that as a "throughput" sensor via "
> > addThroughputSensor" and then "record" right?
> >
> > As an after-thought, maybe it's better to rename `throughput` to `rate`
> in
> > the public APIs since it is really meant for the latter semantics. I did
> > not change it just to make less API changes / deprecate fewer functions.
> > But if we feel it is important we can change it as well.
> >

> I see now that a user can record the rate of skipped records. However,
> I was referring to the total number of skipped records. Maybe my
> question should be more general: should we allow the user to also
> specify sensors for totals or combinations of rate and totals?
>
> Sounds good to me, I will add it to the wiki page as well for
StreamsMetrics.

> [...]
> > DSL and PAPI, and for the former case it would likely to be already
> ignored
> > at the processor node level due to the grace period which is usually
> > smaller than retention; but for PAPI there's no grace period and hence
> the
> > processor would likely still process and call "put" on the store.
> >

> Alright! Got it!
>

> > > 4) Is there an actual difference between skipped and dropped records?
> > > If not, shall we unify the terminology?
> > >

> > There is. Dropped records are only due to lateness; where as skipped
> > records can be due to serde errors (and user's error handling indicate
> > "skip and continue"), timestamp errors, etc.
> >
> > I've considered maybe a better (more extensible) way would be defining a
> > single metric name, say skipped-records, but use different tags to
> indicate
> > if its skipping reason (errors, windowing semantics, etc). But there's
> > still a tricky difference: for serde caused skipping for example, they
> will
> > be skipped at the very beginning and there's no effects taken at all. For
> > some others e.g. null-key / value at the reduce operator, it is only
> > skipped at the middle of the processing, i.e. some effects may have
> already
> > been taken in up-stream sub-topologies. And that's why for
> skipped-records
> > I've defined it on both task-level and node-level and the aggregate of
> the
> > latter may still be smaller than the former, whereas for dropped-records
> it
> > is only for node-level.
> >
> > So how about an even more significant change then: we enlarge the
> > `dropped-late-records` to `dropped-records` which is node-level only, but
> > includes reasons form lateness to semantics (like null-key) as well; and
> > then we have a task-level-only `skipped-records` which only record those
> > dropped at the very beginning and did not make it at all to the
> processing
> > topology. I feel this is a clearer distinguishment but also a bigger
> change
> > to users.
> >

> I like the way you dropped-records and skipped-records are now
> defined. My follow-up question is whether we should give names to
> those metrics that better describe their semantics, like:
>
> dropped-records-at-source and dropped-records-at-processor
>
> or
>
> records-dropped-at-source and records-dropped-at-processor
>
> or
>
> source-dropped-records and processor-dropped-records
>
> or alternatively with skipped. However, I would use the same term as
> in expired-window-record-drop
>
> Maybe, we should also consider to rename expired-window-record-drop to
> expired-window-record-dropped to be consistent.
>
> WDYT?
>
> I was not considering "expired-window-record-drop" before since it is a
store-level metric, and I was only considering task-level (skipped-records)
and processor-node-level (dropped-records) metrics, and I'm using different
terms deliberately to hint users that they are different leveled metrics.

I still feel that using `skip` for task-level metrics indicating that this
record was not processed at all, and using `drop` for processor-level
metrics that this record is only dropped at this stage of the topology is a
better one; but I'm also okay with some finer grained metrics so that we
can align the processor-level with store-level (they are on the same
granularity any ways), like:

`dropped-records-null-field`: at processor nodes

`dropped-records-too-late`: at processor nodes

`dropped-records-expired-window`: at window-stores

> > > 5) What happens with removed metrics when the user sets the version of
> > > "built.in.metrics.version" to 2.2-
> > >
> > > I think for those redundant ones like ""forward-rate" and
> "destroy-rate"
> > we can still remove them with 2.2- as well; for other ones that are
> removed
> > / replaced like thread-level skipped-records we should still maintain
> them.
> >

> Could you add this comment about removal of redundant metrics to the
> KIP such that is documented somewhere?
>
> Yes, for sure.

> Best,
> Bruno

I've also decided to remove the rebalance-related metrics from the
instance-level and move it to consumer itself as part of KIP-429.

--
-- Guozhang