Hi Randall.

I'd also love to enable MDC by default.
However I agree with your concerns regarding compatibility. Runtime logs
are a form of public interface (as I believe has been discussed before) and
therefore enabling MDC in the console requires a major version bump. Now,
enabling it only for the file output, indeed, would not be backwards
incompatible, given that this is a new configuration. However, same as you,
I also err on the side of keeping these two views (console and file logs)
in sync for the sake of simplicity. This will also allow users to keep
changing settings for both loggers in one place, which I suspect will cover
most of the common and simple use cases.

So I think we agree, MDC still remains only one line change away but soon
will become the default option.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Konstantine