> A follow-up question, maybe to list in the future work section as it's
> somewhat parallel to this KIP: have you thought about implementing a REST
> reporter for metrics?

That's certainly an option, however it does not solve the problem for our
users that still rely on JMX integration to collect metrics.

We already provide the ability to write reporter plugins via the
MetricsReporter interface.
And rather than building a separate HTTP interface, I think we should
extend the MetricsReporter interface to also
provide access to yammer metrics – not just Kafka metrics – since there is
no clear effort to move away from Yammer at this time.

This way one could build any kind of reporter – HTTP or otherwise – without
having to rely on Kafka internal classes