Hmm.  A big part of the reason behind the KIP is that the default connection
timeout behavior of the OS doesn't work for Kafka, right?  For example, on
Linux, if we wait 127 seconds for a connection attempt to time out, we won't
get a chance to make another attempt in most cases.  So I think it makes sense
to set a shorter default.

best,
Colin