Hi Cheng,

On the KIP page, it lists this KIP as "draft."  It seems like "under
discussion" is appropriate here, right?

> Currently, the initial socket connection timeout is depending on Linux kernel
> setting
> tcp_syn_retries. The timeout value is 2 ^ (tcp_sync_retries + 1) - 1 seconds.
> For the
> reasons below, we want to control the client-side socket timeout directly
> using
> configuration files

Linux is just one example of an OS that Kafka could run on, right?  You could
also be running on MacOS, for example.

> I'm proposing to do a lazy socket connection time out. That is, we only check
> if
> we need to timeout a socket when we consider the corresponding node as a
> candidate in the node provider.

The NodeProvider is an AdminClient abstraction, right?  Why wouldn't we
implement a connection setup timeout for all clients, not just AdminClient?

best,
Colin