Hi Chris,

Thanks for pointing out that the consumer group deletion step itself will
fail in case of zombie sink tasks. Since we can't get any stronger
guarantees from consumers (unlike with transactional producers), I think it
makes perfect sense to fail the offset reset attempt in such scenarios with
a relevant error message to the user. I was more concerned about silently
failing but it looks like that won't be an issue. It's probably worth
calling out this difference between source / sink connectors explicitly in
the KIP, what do you think?

> changing the field names for sink offsets
> from "topic", "partition", and "offset" to "Kafka
> topic", "Kafka partition", and "Kafka offset" respectively, to
> reduce the stuttering effect of having a "partition" field inside
>  a "partition" field and the same with an "offset" field

The KIP is still using the nested partition / offset fields by the way -
has it not been updated because we're waiting for consensus on the field
names?

> The reset-after-delete feature, on the other
> hand, is actually pretty tricky to design; I've updated the
> rationale in the KIP for delaying it and clarified that it's not
> just a matter of implementation but also design work.

I like the idea of writing an offset reset request to the config topic
which will be processed by the herder's config update listener - I'm not
sure I fully follow the concerns with regard to handling failures? Why
can't we simply log an error saying that the offset reset for the deleted
connector "xyz" failed due to reason "abc"? As long as it's documented that
connector deletion and offset resets are asynchronous and a success
response only means that the request was initiated successfully (which is
the case even today with normal connector deletion), we should be fine
right?

Thanks for adding the new PATCH endpoint to the KIP, I think it's a lot
more useful for this use case than a PUT endpoint would be! One thing
that I was thinking about with the new PATCH endpoint is that while we can
easily validate the request body format for sink connectors (since it's the
same across all connectors), we can't do the same for source connectors as
things stand today since each source connector implementation can define
its own source partition and offset structures. Without any validation,
writing a bad offset for a source connector via the PATCH endpoint could
cause it to fail with hard to discern errors. I'm wondering if we could add
a new method to the `SourceConnector` class (which should be overridden by
source connector implementations) that would validate whether or not the
provided source partitions and source offsets are valid for the connector
(it could have a default implementation returning true unconditionally for
backward compatibility).

> I've also added an implementation plan to the KIP, which calls
> out the different parts that can be worked on independently so that
> others (hi Yash 🙂) can also tackle parts of this if they'd like.

I'd be more than happy to pick up one or more of the implementation parts,
thanks for breaking it up into granular pieces!

Thanks,
Yash