Thanks for the KIP. I think the following is a little confusing since it
doesn't make it clear the the ZooKeeper deployment is separate from Kafka,
Kafka only includes the ZooKeeper libraries. I think it would be useful to
explain the upgrade process for someone running Apache Kafka 2.3 and
ZooKeeper 3.4 (the hardest case) and the same for someone running Apache
Kafka 2.4 and ZooKeeper 3.5.

Also, it's worth clarifying that we actually still test direct kafka
upgrades from 0.8.2 to 3.4. In practice, we have distinguished "providing
updates" versus "allowing direct upgrades from". Apache Kafka 4.0 will
change this since you will have to upgrade to a bridge release before
upgrading to 4.0, but that's a new development.

"Users who use Kafka clusters with Zookeeper clients older than 3.5.x won't
be able to communicate with a Zookeeper cluster using 3.8.1. As mentioned
in the accompanying JIRA ticket Apache Kafka has been using Zookeeper 3.5.x
since version 2.4 so versions above and including it should be safe for
this upgrade. It is acceptable to break compatibility with Apache Kafka
versions prior to 2.4 as they are considered beyond their end of life and
are not maintained. (source: Time Based Release Plan#WhatIsOurEOLPolicy)."

Ismael