Hi ,
       you can enable/disable controlled shutdown using
controlled.shutdown.enable in server.properties. This is by default set to
“true” in 0.8.2. You can go ahead do a rolling restart  and you don’t need
ShutdownBroker command which is removed.  Regarding KAFKA-2029 talks about
improvement to the controlled shutdown especially in case of having high
partitions per broker which might degrade the performance as per the JIRA.

Thanks,
Harsha