I think this is a good start. We've been discussing JBOD internally, so
it's good to see a discussion going externally about it as well.

The other big blocker to using JBOD is the lack of intelligent partition
assignment logic, and the lack of tools to adjust it. The controller is not
smart enough to take into account disk usage when deciding to place a
partition, which may not be a big concern (at the controller level, you
worry about broker usage, not individual mounts). However, the broker is
not smart enough to do it either, when looking at the local directories. It
just round robins.

In addition, there is no tool available to move a partition from one mount
point to another. So in the case that you do have a hot disk, you cannot do
anything about it without shutting down the broker and doing a manual move
of the log segments.

-Todd