I think this KIP is not really about JBOD support it is just about
remaining available in the presence of individual disk failures.

I agree this is nice to have but in the large scope of things is this
really a big deal? Kafka deployments are usually a lot smaller than Hadoop
deployments so even if you have 10% of your machines offline the total cost
is not very much.

In practice RAID doesn't actually solve this problem either, I don't think,
because the I/O hit from rebuilding the RAID after a failure is so high you
have to bring the server down anyway.

I kind of agree with Todd's point that balancing data over individual disks
might be a higher priority for making JBOD more practical.

-Jay