Here is a pseudo code that explains my current approach:

acls = authorizer.getAcl(resource)
if(acls == null || acls.isEmpty) {
        allow all requests for backward compatibility. (any topics that were
created prior to security support will not have acls) This is debatable ,
generally we should block everyone which is what I would prefer but that
means anyone moving to authorizer must go to all of his existing topics
and add acl to allow all. If we are fine with imposing this requirement I
can start returning deny when no acls are found.
} else {
        //So the user has set some acls explicitly, this means they have
knowingly enabled authorizer. Let’t first check if they have set an Acl to
deny this user/host/operation combination.
        if some acl denies this request for this principal/host/operation
combination , return deny

        //this principal/host/operation does not have any explicit deny acl,
check if there is some explicit acl that allows the operation
        if at least one acl allows this request for this
principal/host/operation
combination , return allow

        // no acl was found for this principal/host/operation combination to
allow this operation, so we will deny the request
        return deny
}

Thanks
Parth