Hey Ewen, with protocol design I actually do think good is the enemy of
perfect (not sure if that makes sense but I think you get what I mean).
Your comment seemed to be along the lines of "this isn't very good, but
let's do something". Can you elaborate on what you think we should be
doing?

The only two things I'd add to the comments so far:
1. We will probably live with this scheme for five years if we make this
change. Let's for the love of god not do something half assed. It would be
far far better not to do anything yet and come at this when we have the
time to think it through, then to do something that doesn't make sense.
2. As Gwen says unless/until someone actually sees this through--gets the
docs updated, implements the java client support, etc. we will be in a
worse situation than we currently are. Is anyone actually signing up for
that? I do think these things are coupled in actually getting us to a
better place though they are separate chunks of work.

I get that people want to see forward motion here but I really think this
is an area where thoughtful beats fast. If we do something half-assed we
first do the work of converting the world to that, then the work of undoing
it and doing the thing we should have originally done so it really doesn't
speed things up.

-Jay