It isn't a guarantee, it is a limitation.

It doesn't even matter what we do (have versions, no versions, deprecate or
not) - clients will never be able to use version other than v0 (how will
they know it is there?) and if we ever remove v0, we will immediately break
all clients.

If we are ok making changes that immediately break all clients, we don't
need this KIP. I thought the entire point was to fix this.

So, by having this KIP we agree to never ever remove VersionRequest v0 (as
it is in the KIP).  I agree it could be hard, but no one promised that
implementing a server that is backward and forward compatible is easy.
Everyone who votes on this KIP must be aware that whatever we do here is
here to stay.

Which is exactly why this discussion is so important.

Gwen