I would like to revive this thread and ask for additional feedback on this
KIP.

There have already been some feedback, mostly in favor, plus some concern
about the value gain considering the complexity and the semantics; i.e.
how the eventually revoked assignments need to be processed in the
onPartitionsAssigned() callback, and not in onPartitionsRevoked().

If it helps, I could also send a note to users mailing list about this KIP
and ask for their feedback.
I could also put the KIP up for a vote if that is expected at this point.

Thanks.
--Vahid