Neha,
"But I haven't seen any community emails or patches being submitted by you
guys, so I'm wondering why you are concerned about whether the community is
open to accepting patches or not."

I think you are talking about contributing patches to this repository
right? https://github.com/confluentinc/kafka-rest . All I am saying
the guidelines/governance model is not clear on the project and I guess its
driven by opening a github issue request.  Its the repository owned by
confluent and as much I appreciate that the features we mentioned are in
the roadmap and welcoming us to contribute to the project. It doesn't
gurantee what we want to add in the furture will be in your roadmap.

Hence the reason having it part of Kafka community will help a lot as other
users can participate in the discussions.  We are happy to drive any
feature additions through KIPs which gives everyone a chance to participate
and add to the discussions.

Thanks,
Harsha