I agree, that we should not duplicate functionality.

However, I am worried, that a non-streams users using the offset reset
tool might delete topics unintentionally (even if the changes are pretty
small). Also, currently the stream reset tool required Zookeeper while
the offset reset tool does not -- I don't think we should add this
dependency to the offset reset tool.

Thus, it think it might be better to keep both tools, but internally
rewrite the streams reset entry class, to reuse as much as possible from
the offset reset tool. Ie. the streams tool would be a wrapper around
the offset tool and add some functionality it needs that is Streams
specific.

I also think, that keeping separate tools for consumers and streams is a
good thing. We might want to add new features that don't apply to plain
consumers -- note, a Streams applications is more than just a client.

WDYT?

Would be good to get some feedback from others, too.

-Matthias