> I also think that mixing optional parameters with configs is a bad idea.
> Have not proposal for this atm but just wanted to mention it. Hope to
> find some time to come up with something.

Yes, i don't like the mix of config either. But the only real config here
is the logging config - which we don't really need as it can already be
done via a custom StateStoreSupplier.

> What I don't like in the current proposal is the
> .grouped().withKeyMapper() -- the current solution with .groupBy(...)
> and .groupByKey() seems better. For clarity, we could rename to
> .groupByNewKey(...) and .groupByCurrentKey() (even if we should find
> some better names).

it could be groupByKey(), groupBy() or something different bt

> The proposed pattern "chains" grouping and aggregation too close
> together. I would rather separate both more than less, ie, do into the
> opposite direction.
>
> I am also wondering, if we could so something more "fluent". The initial
> proposal was like:
>
> >> groupedStream.count()
> >>    .withStoreName("name")
> >>    .withCachingEnabled(false)
> >>    .withLoggingEnabled(config)
> >>    .table()
>
> The .table() statement in the end was kinda alien.

I agree, but then all of the withXXX methods need to be on KTable which is
worse in my opinion. You also need something that is going to "build" the
internal processors and add them to the topology.

> The current proposal put the count() into the end -- ie, the optional
> parameter for count() have to specified on the .grouped() call -- this
> does not seems to be the best way either.

I actually prefer this method as you are building a grouped stream that you
will aggregate. So table.grouped(...).withOptionalStuff().aggregate(..) etc
seems natural to me.

> I did not think this through in detail, but can't we just do the initial
> proposal with the .table() ?
>
> groupedStream.count().withStoreName("name").mapValues(...)
>
> Each .withXXX(...) return the current KTable and all the .withXXX() are
> just added to the KTable interface. Or do I miss anything why this wont'
> work or any obvious disadvantage?

See above.