Thanks Matthias

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 at 08:05 Matthias J. Sax <matth...@confluent.io> wrote:

> I am just catching up on this thread, so sorry for the long email in
> advance... Also, it's to some extend a dump of thoughts and not always a
> clear proposal. Still need to think about this in more detail. But maybe
> it helps other to get new ideas :)
>

> >> However, I don't understand your argument about putting aggregate()
> >> after the withXX() -- all the calls to withXX() set optional parameters
> >> for aggregate() and not for groupBy() -- but a groupBy().withXX()
> >> indicates that the withXX() belongs to the groupBy(). IMHO, this might
> >> be quite confusion for developers.
> >>

> > I see what you are saying, but the grouped stream is effectively a no-op
> > until you call one of the aggregate/count/reduce etc functions. So the
> > optional params are ones that are applicable to any of the operations you
> > can perform on this grouped stream. Then the final
> > count()/reduce()/aggregate() call has any of the params that are
> > required/specific to that function.
> >

> I understand your argument, but you don't share the conclusion. If we
> need a "final/terminal" call, the better way might be
>
> .groupBy().count().withXX().build()
>
> (with a better name for build() though)

The point is that all the other calls, i.e,withBlah, windowed, etc apply
too all the aggregate functions. The terminal call being the actual type of
aggregation you want to do. I personally find this more natural than
groupBy().count().withBlah().build()

> > groupedStream.count(/** non windowed count**/)
> > groupedStream.windowed(TimeWindows.of(10L)).count(...)
> > groupedStream.sessionWindowed(SessionWindows.of(10L)).count(...)
>

> I like this. However, I don't see a reason to have windowed() and
> sessionWindowed(). We should have one top-level `Windows` interface that
> both `TimeWindows` and `SessionWindows` implement and just have a single
> windowed() method that accepts all `Windows`. (I did not like the
> separation of `SessionWindows` in the first place, and this seems to be
> an opportunity to clean this up. It was hard to change when we
> introduced session windows)

Yes - true we should look into that.

> Btw: we do you the imperative groupBy() and groupByKey(), and thus we
> might also want to use windowBy() (instead of windowed()). Not sure how
> important this is, but it seems to be inconsistent otherwise.

Makes sense

> About joins:  I don't like .withJoinType(JoinType.LEFT) at all. I think,
> defining an inner/left/outer join is not an optional argument but a
> first class concept and should have a proper representation in the API
> (like the current methods join(), leftJoin, outerJoin()).

Yep, i did originally have it as a required param and maybe that is what we
go with. It could have a default, but maybe that is confusing.

> About the two join API proposals, the second one has too much boiler
> plate code for my taste. Also, the actual join() operator has only one
> argument what is weird to me, as in my thinking process, the main
> operator call, should have one parameter per mandatory argument but your
> proposal put the mandatory arguments into Joins.streamStreamJoin() call.
> This is far from intuitive IMHO.

This is the builder pattern, you only need one param as the builder has
captured all of the required and optional arguments.

> The first join proposal also seems to align better with the pattern
> suggested for aggregations and having the same pattern for all operators
> is important (as you stated already).

This is why i offered two alternatives as i started out with. 1 is the
builder pattern, the other is the more fluent pattern.

> Coming back to the config vs optional parameter. What about having a
> method withConfig[s](...) that allow to put in the configuration?

Sure, it is currently called withLogConfig() as that is the only thing that
is really config.

> This also raises the question if until() is a windows property?
> Actually, until() seems to be a configuration parameter and thus, should
> not not have it's own method.

Hmmm, i don't agree. Until is a property of the window. It is going to be
potentially different for every window operation you do in a streams app.

> Browsing throw your example DSL branch, I also saw this one:
>
> > final KTable<Windowed<String>, Long> windowed>
>  groupedStream.counting()
> >                  .windowed(TimeWindows.of(10L).until(10))
> >                  .table();
>
> This is an interesting idea, and it remind my on some feedback about "I
> wanted to count a stream, but there was no count() method -- I first
> needed to figure out, that I need to group the stream first to be able
> to count it. It does make sense in hindsight but was not obvious in the
> beginning". Thus, carrying out this thought, we could also do the
> following:
>
> stream.count().groupedBy().windowedBy().table();
>
> -> Note, I use "grouped" and "windowed" instead of imperative here, as
> it comes after the count()
>
> This would be more consistent than your proposal (that has grouping
> before but windowing after count()). It might even allow us to enrich
> the API with a some syntactic sugar like `stream.count().table()` to get
> the overall count of all records (this would obviously not scale, but we
> could support it -- if not now, maybe later).

I guess i'd prefer
stream.groupBy().windowBy().count()
stream.groupBy().windowBy().reduce()
stream.groupBy().count()

As i said above, everything that happens before the final aggregate call
can be applied to any of them. So it makes sense to me to do those things
ahead of the final aggregate call.

> Last about builder pattern. I am convinced that we need some "terminal"
> operator/method that tells us when to add the processor to the topology.
> But I don't see the need for a plain builder pattern that feels alien to
> me (see my argument about the second join proposal). Using .stream() /
> .table() as use in many examples might work. But maybe a more generic
> name that we can use in all places like build() or apply() might also be
> an option.

Sure, a generic name might be ok.