On Wed, Aug 9, 2017, at 07:17, Tom Bentley wrote:
> Hi Dong and Jun,
>
> Thanks again for your input in this discussion and on KIP-113. It's
> difficult that discussion is split between this thread and the one for
> KIP-113, but I'll try to respond on this thread to questions asked on
> this
> thread.
>
> It seems there is some consensus that the alterTopic() API is the wrong
> thing, and it would make more sense to separate the different kinds of
> alteration into separate APIs. It seems to me there is then a choice.
>
> 1. Have separate alterPartitionCount(), alterReplicationFactor() and
> reassignPartitions() methods. This would most closely match the
> facilities
> currently offered by kafka-alter-topics and kafka-reassign-partitions.
> 2. Just provide a reassignPartitions() method and infer from the shape of
> the data passed to that that a change in replication factor and/or
> partition count is required, as suggested by Dong.
>
> The choice we make here is also relevant to KIP-113 and KIP-178. By
> choosing (1) we can change the replication factor or partition count
> without providing an assignment and therefore are necessarily requiring
> the
> controller to make a decision for us about which broker (and, for 113,
> which log directory and thus which disk) the replica should be reside.
> There is then the matter of what criteria the controller should use to
> make
> that decision (a decision is also required on topic creation of course,
> but
> I'll try not to go there right now).

Hmm.  One approach would be to have something like

> TopicAlterationResult alterTopics(TopicAlterationOptions options,
>                                   Map<String, TopicAlteration> alters)
>
> PartitionCountAlteration(int numPartitions) implements TopicAlteration
>
> ReplicationFactorAlteration(int repl) implements TopicAlteration
>
> ReassignPartitionsAlteration(...) implements TopicAlteration

> Choosing (2), on the other hand, forces us to make an assignment, and
> currently the AdminClient doesn't provide the APIs necessary to make a
> very
> informed decision. To do the job properly we'd need APIs to enumerate the
> permissible log directories on each broker, know the current disk usage
> etc. These just don't exist today, and I think it would be a lot of work
> bite off to specify them. We've already got three KIPs on the go.
>
> So, for the moment, I think we have to choose 1, for pragmatic reasons.
> There is nothing to stop us deprecating alterPartitionCount() and
> alterReplicationFactor() and moving to (2) at a later date.

Yeah, the API should be pragmatic.  An API that doesn't let us do what
we want to do (like let Kafka assign us a new replica on the least
loaded node) is not good.

> To answer a specific questions of Jun's:
>
> 3. It's not very clear to me what status_time in ReplicaStatusResponse
> > means.
>

> It corresponds to the ReplicaStatus.statusTime, and the idea was it was
> the
> epoch offset at which the controllers notion of the lag was current
> (which
> I think is the epoch offset of the last FetchRequest from the follower).
> At
> one point I was considering some other ways of determining progress and
> completion, and TBH I think it was more pertinent to those rejected
> alternatives.
>
> I've already made some changes to KIP-179. As suggested in the thread for
> KIP-113, I will be changing some more since I think we can
> DescribeDirsRequest
> instead of ReplicaStatusResponse to implement the --progress option.

That makes sense.  Whatever response is used, it would be nice to have
an error message in addition to an error code.

best,
Colin