I just review the PR, and there is one thing we should discuss.

There are different types of exceptions that could occur. Some apply to
all records (like Authorization exception) while others are for single
records only (like record too large).

For the first category, it seems to not make sense to call the handle
but Streams should always fail. If we follow this design, the KIP should
list all exceptions for which the handler is not called.

WDYT?

-Matthias