Hi there, sorry for the delay in responding. Last week had a holiday and
several busy work days in it so I'm just now getting around to responding.

> We would only exclude
> exception Streams can handle itself (like ProducerFencedException) --
> thus, if the handler has code to react to this, it would not be bad, as
> this code is just never called.
[...]
> Thus, I am still in favor of not calling the ProductionExceptionHandler
> for fatal exception.

Acknowledged, so is ProducerFencedException the only kind of exception I
need to change my behavior on? Or are there other types I need to check? Is
there a comprehensive list somewhere?

> About the "always continue" case. Sounds good to me to remove it (not
> sure why we need it in test package?)

I include it in the test package because I have tests that assert that if
the record collector impl encounters an Exception and receives a CONTINUE
that it actually does CONTINUE.

> What is there reasoning for invoking the handler only for the first
> exception?

I didn't want to invoke the handler in places where the CONTINUE or FAIL
result would just be ignored. Presumably, after a FAIL has been returned,
subsequent exceptions are likely to be repeats or noise from my
understanding of the code paths. If this is incorrect we can revisit.

Once I get the answers to these questions I can make another pass on the
pull request!

Matt