There has been no further discussion on this KIP for about two months.
So I thought I'd provide the scoop hoping it would spark additional
feedback and move the KIP forward.

The KIP proposes a method to preserve group offsets as long as the group
is not in Empty state (even when offsets are committed very rarely), and
start the offset expiration of the group as soon as the group becomes
Empty.
It suggests dropping the `retention_time` field from the `OffsetCommit`
request and, instead, enforcing it via the broker config
`offsets.retention.minutes` for all groups. In other words, all groups
will have the same retention time.
The KIP presumes that this global retention config would suffice common
use cases and does not lead to, e.g., unmanageable offset cache size (for
groups that don't need to stay around that long). It suggests opening
another KIP if this global retention setting proves to be problematic in
the future. It was suggested earlier in the discussion thread that the KIP
should propose a per-group retention config to circumvent this risk.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

--Vahid