I think we need to be a very careful here.  Configuration complexity can get
out of control very quickly.  There are also some conflicting goals here.

As much as possible, we want the configuration to be a full description of what
the broker is going to do.  If the configuration pulls in environment
variables, system properties, local files, or other aspects of the local system
environment, it is no longer a complete description  of what the broker is
going to do.  Instead, you have to know about the full UNIX environment to
understand what is going on.  This makes deployments less repeatable and will
lead to hard-to-track-down problems if one node has a different set of
environment variables than the others, etc.

We want it to be easy to roll out a new configuration to all brokers without
restarting them all.  We should expect that in the future, more and more
configurations will be KIP-226 style dynamic configurations that are stored in
ZooKeeper and centrally rolled out to all brokers without a restart.  If we
have to restart processes with different environment or system properties, or
change local files, in order to reconfigure, we can't accomplish this goal.  As
much as possible, the centrally managed configurations should not refer to
local system properties.

Configurations should be loaded efficiently.  But if loading the configuration
requires opening and reading local files, it could get extremely slow.  I saw
this problem firsthand in Hadoop, where invoking "new Configuration()" causes
dozens of XML files to be loaded and parsed.  Also, keep in mind that things
other than the broker need to load configurations.  Every client and every tool
needs to perform the same process.

If configuration keys can reference and include other configuration keys,
renaming or deprecating something becomes even harder than it is now.  And if
one configuration key changes because it is a dynamic configuration key, should
all the configuration keys that included that one change as well?  This feature
simply doesn't work well with our other features.

It seems like most of these problems can be solved better and more easily
outside Kafka.  For example, it's straightforward to write a bash script that
examines some environment variables, constructs a Kafka configuration file and
then runs the Kafka broker with that file.  This also makes it straightforward
to set configuration keys in tandem, if that's what you want.

I think we should focus just on what JAAS needs, which seems very different
than what other configurations need.  In the specific case of JAAS, it makes
sense to consider loading stuff from a separate file, to avoid having
credentials stored in the properties file.  (But I thought we already had a way
to do that?)

best,
Colin