Hi Viktor,

If I'm reading the KIP right, it looks like the new proposed verison of
AlterConfigs sets an OperationType on a per-config basis:

 > AlterConfigs Request (Version: 1) => [resources] validate_only
 >   validate_only => BOOLEAN
 >   resources => resource_type resource_name [configs]
 >     resource_type => INT8
 >     resource_name => STRING
 >     configs => config_name config_value config_operation
 >       config_name => STRING
 >       config_value => STRING
 >       config_operation => INT8 [NEW ADDITION]
 >
 > Request Semantics:
 >
 >      By default in the broker we parse an AlterConfigRequest version 0
 > with Unknown operation and handle it with the currently existing behavior.
 > Version 1 requests however must have the operation set to other than
 > Unknown, otherwise an InvalidRequestException will be thrown.
 >          Set operation also does Add if needed to be backward compatible
 > with the existing ConfigCommand semantics.

However, this seems like a configuration that should be global to the whole
AlterConfigs request, right?  It doesn't make sense to have one configuration
key use AlterOperation.Set and the other use AlterOperation.Add -- the Set one
specifies that we should overwrite the whole node in ZK.

Another consideration here is that we should do this in a compatible fashion in
AdminClient.  Existing code that relies on the "set everything" behavior should
not break.  The best way to do this is to add a boolean to
./clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/clients/admin/AlterConfigsOptions.java
, specifying whether we want to clear everything that hasn't been specified, or
not.  This should default to true so that existing code can continue to
work.... Unless we believe that the existing AlterConfigs behavior is so broken
that it should be changed, even in a compatibility-breaking way.

Similarly, for other tools, we managed to support both the zookeeper-based way
and the new way in the same tool for a while.  This seems like something users
would really want-- is it truly infeasible to do here?  The Java code could
call into the Scala code as necessary when the zk flag was specified, right?

best,
Colin