Hi Everyone,

There remains some inconsistency in the timeout behavior of the consumer
APIs which do not accept a timeout. Some of them block forever (e.g.
position()) and some of them use request.timeout.ms (e.g. parititonsFor()).
I think we'd probably all agree that blocking forever is not useful
behavior and using request.timeout.ms has always been a hack since it
controls a separate concern. I think there are basically two options to
address this:

1. We can add max.block.ms to match the producer and use it as the default
timeout when a timeout is not explicitly provided. This will fix the
indefinite blocking behavior and avoid conflating request.timeout.ms.
2. We can deprecate the methods which don't accept a timeout.

I'm leaning toward the first solution because I think we want to push users
to specifying timeouts through configuration rather than in code (Jay's
original argument). I think the overloads are still useful for advanced
usage (e.g. in kafka streams), but we should give users an easy option with
reasonable default behavior.

If that sounds ok, I'd propose we add it to this KIP and fix it now. This
gives users an easy way to get the benefit of the improvements from this
KIP without changing any code.

Thanks,
Jason