It is incredibly weird, but it is also a repeating pattern. I figured we
may as well address this. I definitely explained how Kafka is different
from traditional queues and what lag means vs partition size.

To the best of my understanding, they see size as a measure of a topic
importance in terms that are easier to their business management to
understand. If I store many events in Kafka, clearly I'm making good use of
Kafka.
"My manager comes every day and asks me, how many events do we keep in
Kafka" is a quote I heard multiple times.

Those are companies who are new to the whole streams concept... I guess
they are not used to think in terms of throughput? And management seems to
learn slower than engineers?

Anyway, this is just a suggestion. I'll +1 the KIP either way. But since I
know there's demand, I figured I'll ask.

Gwen