The “Motivation” section of the KIP says that the starting offset will be
useful but doesn’t say why. Can you add a use-case or two to describe how it
will be useful?

In our case (see
https://github.com/wushujames/kafka-utilities/blob/master/ConsumerGroupLag/README.md),
 we found the starting offset useful so that we could calculate partition size
so that we could identify empty partitions (partitions where all the data had
expired). In particular, we needed that info so that we could calculate “lag”.
Consider that case where we are asked to mirror an abandoned topic where
startOffset==endOffset==1000000. We would have no committed offset on it, and
the topic has no data in it, so we won’t soon get any committed offset, and so
“lag” is kind of undefined. We used the additional startOffset to allow us to
detect this case.

-James

Sent from my iPhone